RAUC v0.4 Released
The RAUC team is proud to announce that we've just released RAUC v0.4!
Beside a few fixes, this version provides some useful new features such as atomic bootloader updates for eMMC, a central storage location for the RAUC system status information and experimental support for using RAUC with the casync chunking tool for delta updates over the network.
- Add barebox-statename key to [system] section of system.conf in order to allow using non-default names for barebox state
- Support atomic bootloader updates for eMMCs. The newly introduced slot type boot-emmc will tell RAUC to handle bootloader updates on eMMC by using the mmcblkXboot0/-boot1 partitions and the EXT_CSD registers for alternating updates.
- Support writing *.vfat images to vfat slots
- Add basic support for streaming bundles using casync tool.
Using the casync tool allows streaming bundle updates chunk-wise over
By using the source slot as a seed for the reproducible casync chunking
algorithm, the actual chunks to download get reduced to only those that
differ from the original system.
- Add rauc convert command to convert conventional bundles to casync bundle and chunk store
- Extend update handler to handle .caibx and .caidx suffix image types in bundle
- Added --detailed argument to rauc status to obtain newly added slot status information
- Added D-Bus Methods GetSlotStatus to obtain collected status of all slots
- Extended information stored in slot status files (installed bundle info, installation and activation timestamps and counters)
- Optionally use a central status file located in a storage location not touched during RAUC updates instead of per-slot files (enabled by setting statusfile key in [system] section of system.conf).
- Add write-slot command to write images directly to defined slots (for use during development)
- Fix documentation out-of-tree builds
- Fixed packaging for dbus wrapper script rauc-service.sh
- Some double-free and error handling fixes
- Create uncrustify report during Travis run
- Unified hash table iteration and variable usage
- Add uncrustify code style configuration checker script to gain consistent coding style. Committed changes revealed by initial run.
- Updated and extended D-Bus interface documentation
- Added documentation for newly added features (casync, central slot status, etc.)
- Fixed and extended Yocto (meta-rauc) integration documentation
- Add link to IRC/Matrix channel
- Some minor spelling errors fixed
RAUC v1.9 Released
"Getting things off the ground" could be the motto for the v1.9 release of RAUC. The support for custom metadata in the manifest got a step further, a new, more flexible, D-Bus API for bundle inspection paved the way for obtaining more detailed information, and a new manifest hash marks the first of several planned changes for configurable event logging. However, one of the most invasive changes happened under the hood: We have started the transition from autotools to meson as a build system.
Saving Download Bandwidth with RAUC Adaptive UpdatesBased on RAUC's HTTP(S) streaming capabilities, adaptive updates are a generic concept in RAUC to allow saving download bandwidth and form an alternative to conventional delta updates. This post introduces both the generic concept as well the first implemented method 'block-hash-index'.
RAUC v1.8 Released
When September ends and summer is over, it's a good opportunity to take advantage of the shorter days and comfortably update to the latest RAUC version we have just released into the wild: v1.8